Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Cultural Event I: Jim Condron

The event regarding Jim Condron's artwork was honestly drawn out and dull. He did not seem enthused or eager to share his own work at all, which is not surprising considering that he kept saying how he isn't even a sculptor. In the beginning of his talk, he regarded himself as somewhat of a failure and noted how he even gave up on painting in general because he was not pleased with what he had been creating. I can understand where he was coming from in that I am similar in that sense, that if I felt I was not good at something anymore, I would not find joy in pursuing it. However, despite his brief lapse in artistry, Condron said he continued to work with smaller things, including small-scale sculptures that he constructed out of common items such as yarn and tape. Then, further into his talk, he went on to say how he stuck with only small objects because he was not experienced or skillful enough to create larger ones. From seeing his current artwork, I would probably agree.

However, my thoughts on the man changed after hearing of what inspired some of his work. While his mom was fighting her long battle with ALS, Condron designed much of his work, which brings much greater meaning and depth into the things he creates, at least for me. Knowing the artist even a little bit helps me sympathize and humanize them. After the artist is no longer just a name-tag next to their work, it allows me to see deeper into the piece, putting myself into the mindset of the artist while they were creating. It is this relationship between the viewer and the work which makes it more meaningful and significant to that particular viewer. When a woman in the audience asked why Baltimore is known for crime instead of its rich art culture, I feel like the answer is just that. People are disconnected from the artwork because it doesn't directly affect them. And even further, they cannot understand it or relate to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment